Thursday 25 November 2010

Road to work journal =]

Good day everyone. Once again I'm back for a new post however I haven't spoken about my route to obtaining a job in the games industry for a while now.

Especially since this is part of my course at University =P personally I've been pretty sick for the past week and now I've sort of lost hearing in my ears and I need to wait two weeks for them to get syringed! And I've had my friend Triona nag me to take medicine ¬ ¬ (Yes I'm taking them XD)

On other news, last week at University I presented my blog to my teacher Dave so he can see how things are going, and remarkably he really enjoyed it and thought it was very good. That actually pleased me a lot =]

However we did have a discussion based on me trying to find a job. However of course I want a job in the games industry but personally I want to develop my own business who create AAA titles for both home consoles & PC. Network games that include flash and applications for mobile phones such as the I-phone.


Tiga's logo's cool =]
So yeah you guys know what I want to do now and where I'd like to lead my life towards. So the company logo above. What's it about?....Well my teacher Dave, told me about this organisation who as it clearly states on the slogan....

'Represent the games industry' they are there to help game companies throughout the UK to aid them in the media, to get their voices heard and to even help in providing discounts to certain things like motion capture. 

This firm is brilliant and I've been checking out their website and straight on the main page the company provides you with a contact number for you to call them and since I am looking to form my own games business it's ideal.

That goes for all of you people who are looking to form your owns games company. It's a great website and you can at least know that there is help out there for the aid of opening your own firm.

Tiga are willing to contribute and help guide you to what you want to do. However that doesn't mean they'll do all the hard work for you. One thing I've been told, the factor behind creating a successful business isn't just having the money for funds etc....It's (YOU)


Right I'll quit with the whole motivational talk now and get back to the industry talk XD but you really need to make sure if you are looking to develop your own business as I am.

To research and learn about things that you don't already know and stay consistent with what you love and I'm sure at some point all that hard work you put in will come back to you in a positive way, may be it be the public, money, anything!

So yeah....Check out this site: http://www.tiga.org/Default.aspx Look into this, even if you aren't looking to open up a business at least you guys can gain a bit of insight on things related within the games industry =]

Now the whole thing about me wanting to develop my own business is great! I'm being ambitious and I have a goal that I want to reach.

However personally I think it'll be better for me to actually find a job in the industry first. It's far more realistic i feel for my current position, since then I can gain a far greater understanding on how games are created, experience and I'll have a good relation with people and possibly other game companies =] 


On other news! I purchased the latest Edge magazine and the front cover looks sweet! Like Candy sweet! It has Death Wing from Blizzards latest new soon to be released adaptation to World of Warcraft.

I provided you guys with the epic trailer and the editions you can purchase on earlier posts for thous of you following this blog =P

Awesome cover XD
This magazine is great and I purchase it, not just because my friend (Tank-XboxLive Gamertag) says so. Though it may do what other magazines do with reviews and previews of games.

Moreover it also brings in a lot of gaming culture and interesting articles such as PC gaming or interview's with people from the games companies so you can get a better insight but also!

Pages and pages full of useful information on companies that are looking for fresh new talent! In a previous post I was stating that I wanted to look for a job in London however all the companies seem to be out of London such as Rebellion located in Brighton.

Luckily this magazine had an article in companies based around London, that include (Sony Computer Entertainment) SCE London. Who made games such as Singstar and even PSN's own gamers social club 'PlayStation-Home.' Even though dudes just go around chasing after female avatars >__> Or even worse.....


Erm haha....Anyway, it gave me a better insight in the companies based around London. There are quite a lot such as Rockstar London and many more familiar names.

However don't just think I need to get into the big names! There are other companies as well that may be smaller but are just as great and could be a bit more easier to work for since they are smaller companies. 

I'm not saying that they are a crappier alternative alright ¬ ¬ I'm just saying be more open-minded and look and apply for what you have around you already.

Since you'll get a lot of experience and even though for myself I'd like to develop games for home game consoles such as the Xbox360, creating web games or titles for the PC is brilliant enough!

Co'mon Markus Persson!!! The dude that developed MineCraft has made over $500,000 and even his paypal account got canceled because he earned soo much over the game! Creating a game for the PC can fork you tons of riches! You could pretty much just live off the interest o_O


If you guys want to know more about it of course, you should look it up =] and perhaps even try it out yourself ;) http://www.minecraft.net/ (This dude just developed the game by home and I think if you have a great idea pursue it, do it by home and see where it leads. If it fails, do something else, keep it up and don't give up!)

So yeah back to what I was saying XD....I really should probably stop getting side tracked but meh...I speak my mind and I'm sure it's entertaining enough ^__^

A business will always start off small but it can also get bigger and way more successful and make a name for itself. Another example is a company that are hiring based in South Kensington who create web-games named Play-Fish. They did really well with certain titles such as  'Who has the biggest brain?' And then EA bought them!

Now they have one of the biggest/ richest game companies in the industry at their side! o_O


 http://www.playfish.com/?page=jobs 

Check this link out above for career opportunities with this business. There were many  other companies however that's for you guys to look into it. For myself to do apply to ;)

Alright so Edge Magazine! Remember it =] You guys should really check it out. Full of tons of brilliantly illustrated interesting articles, job listings and interviews. There's a lot to read and especially on packed up trips in Train to university (in my case!)


I'm off now people! I have a huge headache and I'm also looking to get back on the Xbox360 and play Black ops =P I <3 you all! Take care people ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment