Thursday 14 October 2010

Soo tired ¬ ¬

Hey readers, I've just been laid out on my bed since I hadn't really had much sleep for a couple of days. Sleep is kind of catching up on me now o_O I was finally making a comeback on Gears of War 2 last night, since I hadn’t played it for a while.

It was me and my two friends HCF and TrussingBook (it's there gamertags) and honestly with the new patches been released on the game, it sure did make it faster to find people to play online with. For not playing the game for a while i must say we did do pretty well. 

Today I went to university, and on my way I started to play Kingmaker.

 
It's a mobile app from Lionhead, where you must register first and then are picked out of random between two factions. Either a rebel or a royal and the way it works is you are given 10 flags per day and the user must plant them for their own faction in any area of there liking, that way you can have a nice sum of gold to start off with in Fable 3 =P

One cool thing is that you can look for treasure, there are marked places on the map (the game works with the phones GPS) where you can earn a large some of gold, and as i was in central London, I managed to find that I was only 0.7km away from the destination.

so I made my traverse using my Xperia X10's google maps to help me find my way. After about 8 minutes of walking i finally managed to reach the area and i was awared with an extra 2000 gold which was pretty sweet.

So if you are to purchase Fable 3 and have an Android phone, windows phone or one of those useless Iphones. Then I really recommend to download Kingmaker (Its free!!!)

5,100 Gold coins so far =] 




Other than that University went alright, thought I was really sleepy so i was sort of barely awake =P We have been given the task to show that we are going around doing research for jobs in the games industry, to obtain contacts or going to gaming events and so on, and to apply it to our blog.

I'd already been doing some research beforehand i even started this gaming blog, so I'll be applying updates on how my job hunting is going =] I'm hoping some companies take interest in me, even though University won't finish till sometime next year, at least some contact with various game companies would be ideal since then perhaps they could hire me once I leave.



To start off I’ll mention about my trip to the Eurogamer Expo 2010 earlier this year. I've been going to the event since 2008, so 3 years running.

I buy the tickets every year for myself and my friends, I pretty much double up as the event organiser i ended up purchasing the tickets early summer this year to make sure we all have entry =]

It was me and my friends Mathew, Triona, Alex and Daniel. We all went together for both Friday and Saturday (I’ll get to Sunday in a bit =P) we played loads of games including Gears Of War 3, Castlevania and so on...  especially Kinect ;)

Another game we tried was BRINK, made by Splash Damage and its being published by Bethesda. It was a great FPS and honestly I’ve been looking forward to it since the first time it was announced, last year at Eurogamer 2009, we were given a demonstration of the game and it looked great. Below is a video of one of the Brink trailers, enjoy!


 
And this year, we finally got the chance to play it, with customisable characters, changing character classes for example from Soldier to Engineer on the fly in game and tons of other features. Honestly the game was brilliant =]

We played multiplayer in teams and remarkably my team won which was awesome. I give credit to my friend Alex for helping out the team while I played. After we had finished, I started to speak to one of the guys from Splash Damage, His name was Alister and I asked him if there's any Brink give-a-aways for the public.

Apparently It was very limited and only the best player throughout each team would well basically win a T-shirt of Brink. Which I found was fair of course and then as soon as Alex and I started talking and watching over are friends Mathew and Mark play Brink.

Alister approached me and told me with a signed T-shirt from one of the members of the Splash Damage team, I was actually amazed o_O now I’m not sure if I was the best player within our team, (probably not) or perhaps because I actually went to speak to them. Either way I was soo grateful for what I was given =]

*Now I understand the picture is the wrong way round, I did rotate the image to upright however each time I upload it came out like that. ¬ ¬ *

Signed  Brink T-Shirt. Thank you Splash Damage!

One of the games I've been looking really forward to from Bethesda is Fallout: New Vegas. I loved Fallout 3, so playing New Vegas was brilliant ^__^

Fallout New Vegas deciding apon Characteristics
 
Plus Vegas comes with customisable options for your weapons and ammo types ;) Not to mention the awesome new weapons such as the grenade machine gun =P 

I totally <3 it when i come across this...Robot with TV is kool!


Kinect was a big surprise for me, honestly coming from a hardcore gamers perspective I thought that I’d rather wait till sometime later in 2011 for more titles to release that cater to a more hardcore gamer market. Since I don't see myself playing games such as Kinanimals. I can't really get around Kinect Adventures since the powerful magic camera comes with the game. 

Mathew, Mark has a crap phone and Daniel on Dance Central.
However in all honestly, Kinect was great! We played Dance Central and the game just rocked! We kept on going back just to play it again and again. Microsoft's new gaming gear of 2010 picked up on the player’s movements flawlessly and of course best of all the gameplay was very fun!

It's been a while since I’ve played something that was actually this fun; Kinect is the future of motion controls baby ;) And possibly best piece of gaming technology of 2010, in my opinion.





Also we went to a Lionhead conference for Fable 3!!!, where we got to see peter molyneux, one of  industries most iconic game developers, who brought games like Black and White to of course Fable =]




Now for Sunday we all volunteered to work for Eurogamer to help them out. We had received an e-mail stating that Bethesda would like to have a few volunteers to help them out on the day. Unfortunately I was too late to gain a place to work with Bethesda.

However I wasn't going to give up that easy, I love Splash Damage, Brink was awesome and Bethesda is brilliant! As a computer games design student I really wanted to help out, especially if it came to helping out a very well renowned games company.

So I spoke with Alister on the day I had been given the Brink T-shirt and to my surprise he said yes! I was very happy at that moment as he allowed me work with the Bethesda team for Sunday =] 

 When it came to Sunday, we all arrived there around 9am, and got to play the games before the doors opened for Eurogamer 2010. A couple of my friends got to help out with Brink while I and two others helped out with Fallout New Vegas =] 

As the day went along, there was a lack of staff that could help out with the Gears of War 3 booth, and they were looking for any volunteer’s to help. Personally I'd always try doing anything to help others out, so I managed the Gears 3 booth with the help of another worker. It was awesome!

One of the dudes playing Gears 3 Beast mode
 
 At the Killzone 3 booth, a man appeared to be wearing a guile suit. I found that pretty cool; perhaps he was dressed up for Call of Duty: Black Opps, sadly the game wasn't on the show. Darn ¬ ¬ then again there was.... Medal of Honor...lol.

Captain Mcmillin from COD4
 All in all, Eurogamer 2010 was brilliant, not only did i get to play games before release date, but i also managed to help out which i felt great about. Especially being given the chance to help out Bethesda and obtaining contacts from a couple of the Splash Damage guys ^__^

This brings me to my next topic, about researching and looking into game companies that are hiring. I've been looking on various websites such as Develop online and Gamezindustry.biz who I’m a member off to help find any possible job matches that come close to my criteria.

 I've already posted my CV up on GamezIndustry.biz so if there is a job opening that i feel i hold the skills for, i can immediately apply. Honestly, so far i haven't yet found an actual job that i feel confident in terms of me being hired, due to the lack of experience I hold.

However I did receive some contact regarding a certain job listing, which i believed catered for Quality insurance, i can't remember too much right now, but I’m guessing the job was for a senior and i lacked the experience that was required however the person that had replied back and given me a small guide to aid me in my search for an occupation within the games industry.

Additionally while at Eurogamer I did speak to a few number of developers such as Rare and Crytek. Who gave me guidance into a way to pursue my dream of becoming part of the industry. Additionally there was a company known as Gamer Camp.

Who were there to help students out when it comes to job seeking, basically they stated that around 80% of students coming out of University are unemployed and that a degree doesn't cater for everything when trying to find a job. The portfolio is a huge leap forward towards reaching your dream job.

Gamer Camp starts in September, and you must help build a AAA game for a console, the course lasts for 9 months, and it does seem great for your portfolio since you helped to create a game that is set for retail for a home games console such as the Xbox360 and also counts for a masters =P

Now that was brilliant, i loved the idea and wanted to go for it, it's just the fee to actually go for it is £9500.00 o_O Now I have no way near enough money lol, so I’m not too sure any more

Either way I’m going to have to start working on cover letters and sorting out my CV a bit, and start looking into other companies and doing my research, to see if i can find myself a place in the games industry.
I'd do anything for the company as far as I’m concerned; it's just getting that first step into the door.
 





Right that was a lot of writing which probably bored the hell out of you guys =P so here's some gaming news to wake you magic people up ;] Halo Reach is set to have it's first multiplayer map-pack dlc on November 30th. There will be three extra new maps up for download that are:

*All pictures and information was courtesy of Kotaku.com*

Tempest




From what i can see from this level, is it seems to build within Forge World which is very open so expect it to be ideal for big-team games. I'm going with that speculation because according to Kotaku, it can hold up to 8-16 players. 


Anchor 9




This map immediantly reminds me of the corvet mission in Halo Reach, when you had to go into space and break into the covenant space-vessel. Based upon my source it is a 2-8 player map so it's quite close quarter, mainly because the whole map is based inside and not any open areas. Looking forward to the view ;)


Breakpoint
 


 

Immediantly I was struck by lightening! When i saw this map. It's from the campaign mode when you get sent underground in the lift by the Dr. And you were overrun by huge hordes of covenant. This map is open but has that sense of not too vaste in scale like for example the Hemorrhage map in Reach (Blood Gultch)


So in personal opinion when it comes to a game such as big team battle of 16 players it may work out quite well, since it still seems quite compact to help avoid a sort of dead zone faction as i'd like to call it. When nothing much seems to be happening.


Additionally since there were hordes of covenent within this area in the campign mode, i'd say firefight mode would work out great on here =] I can't wait! Me and my friends HCF and TankGunner have been talking about having this map up on multiplayer, mainly for Firefight for quite some time now. *Happy days*


The cost of this map-pack according to Kotaku will be 800 microsoft points and you will also be eligable of obtaining an extra 250 gamer points for your gamerscore. The new achievements would most likely be for multiplayer due to the new maps.




Ok Gear heads want to help raise money for charity, then here we go. Epic games are putting these goodies up on ebay to help out the Baystate Children's Hospital.

 *Courtesy of Iflaq (Epic Games Community Support)

So if you're a huge Gears fan and also would like to do some good to help raise money for charity you can add a bid on this link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120633936716  




Anyway dude's and Dudet's hopefully i didn't bored you guys too much with soo much text, tried to lighten things up a bit during the end. But I'll be back to posting again soon, letting you guys know how well the job hunting is going and any other gaming news that might follow up =]

Bye!!!!!!!

*and Please follow me or leave comments or anything I always want the community to be involved!*

No comments:

Post a Comment